Coping with flood risks in monsoon
In Vietnam, rainy season (from May to November) always comes with fears & threats to people’s living & businesses, especially with extreme and complicated development of climate in recent years. Besides tragic loss of life, damages to properties, infrastructures, business interruption in industrial zones and factories.
Below are safety advices to guard your business with reduced losses and sooner operation resumption:
PHASE 1: PREPARATION
Establish Emergency Response Plan
- • Organizing an Emergency/ Rescue Team with trained persons;.
- • Special procedures for safely shutdown equipment, electrical equipment isolation, hazardous material/gas supply cut; key equipment and material relocation; server back-up; taking care staff (or evacuation).
Post-flood repair and business recovery activities including clean-up.
Improve facility preparedness
Periodically (monthly/quarterly) review condition of factory roof, gutter, drainage system/water pump, emergency generators and promptly perform necessary repairs.
Training & Exercise
It’s important to raise awareness of staff and their adequate response in compliance with emergency response plan. Simulation practice on the vulnerability areas of the factory.
Develop contingency plans
Ensure that you have back-up operation to minimize business disruption, maintain subcontract capabilities or other possible alternatives.
PHASE 2: RESPONSE
Maintain a detailed log of flood event
- • Keep a logbook documenting alarm stages, internal communication, actions taken… to facilitate post-event loss adjustment exercise and support Emergency Response Plan team in improving the response plan.
Keep stakeholders informed
- • Not only staff, you need to notice the suppliers (to stop goods delivery), customers on development of the disaster.
PHASE 3: RECOVERY
Initiate clean-up operations
- • Upon safe condition to carry out such operation (i.e. instructed by competent authorities), remove ruined objects from affected buildings, premises or dispose damaged materials.
Inform insurance company
- • If you maintain insurance covering flood risks, contact the insurance company as soon as practical to help them investigating the site and damages.
- • Before restoring to normal operation, have all utilities checked by qualified personnel to ensure employee safety and prevent equipment damage.